Monday, March 24, 2008

清明 on Easter Sunday.

I was going to write this earlier, but I've been busy enjoying my spring break and haven't had a spare moment till now. Anyways, yesterday was 清明 (I don't really know much about the traditions, but if you're curious, you can read the wiki on it. Anyways, we went to visit my grandparents grave. It was the same... holiday, I suppose, that I visited my grandma's grave. It was the same holiday. This time, we decided to go a little later than usual to avoid the heavy crowds. The weather was the complete opposite of the day that I visited my grandmother's grave. It was sunny and clear. In fact, I had to wear my sunglasses to be able to see without squinting. So we pulled into the cemetery to find a place to park, since apparently Chinese cemeteries just let you park inside. I dunno, Chinese people are pretty resourceful.

In any case, by we, I mean my immediate family and my aunt and uncle. It was a much smaller party this time since my other aunt's family went down to Las Vegas for spring break and they didn't have time to come to the graves since they were busy packing or something. The whole thing was much much simpler than the time we visited grandma. All we did was clean the grave, burn some currency for my grandparents to spend in the afterlife. Overall, it was a really peaceful ceremony. It was somewhat reminiscent of grandpa himself. Forget the fancy stuff, just get what you need done.

I saw Daniel and Wendy at the cemetery too. Caught up with them for a little bit about school and stuff, but it wasn't exactly an ideal place to have a conversation. They had their own tasks to attend to.

I shouldn't be saying this, but there were a lot of cute guys again. All the Asian guys come out and do their stuff during this time, haha. But yeah, felt guilty again, but it was kind of hard not to look around. It wasn't like I was gonna go up to them and ask them out or anything.

After cleaning up my grandparents' grave, we packed our things and headed over to my great-grandparents' cemetery. I had only been there once before and that was a while ago. I don't know anything about my great-grandfather since he died in the 70s but I can vaguely remember my great-grandmother. I can remember her in her wheelchair and she would always have a blanket on her... but than that, my 3 year old memory isn't that good. I can't remember her face very well, or how she smelled, or what she did. I do remember her funeral though. I didn't know what was happening, but I could see grandma sobbing extremely loudly... and that's about it. I don't know how accurate that is, but I have that image in my mind without anyone telling me anything about her. Anyways, we cleaned her grave too, paid our respects and burned some money for them too.

Overall, it was a pretty simple day. There were only a few people around both cemeteries, and my whole family wasn't there to start screaming talking to each other. It was a little hard though since my grandpa only died last month and we had to go to his grave so quickly again. But I'm alright now. I still have fond memories of him that I will take with me forever.

No comments: